Refrigerator Buying Guide
Choosing a refrigerator can be a complicated process with many manufacturers, brands, designs and features to consider.
There are other factors that also come into play in the decision making process, such as kitchen layout, number of people in the household and style. The type of refrigerator is also critical. Gone are the days when the top freezer was the only choice.
Please use this handy refrigerator buying guide from Goedeker's to better educate yourself on all the different things to consider when purchasing a new refrigerator.
Refrigerators can be measured in multiple ways. First, there's capacity. Capacity is measured in cubic feet.
Along with capacity, the dimensions of the refrigerator must be considered. This is the width, height, and depth.
The width should be no wider than the available space. For a freestanding refrigerator, this is typically very easy, as the unit can be move slightly in any direction. For a built-in unit, however, these measurements are critical.
The height of a refrigerator should never be higher than any object which may impede its placement or strike the refrigerator at any time (i.e. a ceiling fan blade). Consider any cabinets that will be above the refrigerator and measure your height accordingly.
With refrigerators there are basically two types of depth.
- For a built-in look without the requirement of a built-in closet, consider a counter depth refrigerator. These units are only as deep as a standard counter and will not protrude farther from the edge like a normal depth refrigerator.
- The other type is standard depth which few inches deeper than normal kitchen cabinets. This depth allows for more refrigerator storage capacity.
Types of Refrigerators
Top mount refrigerators place the freezer compartment at eye level, above the refrigerator compartment. Traditionally, this has been the best-selling type of refrigerator with styles to fit every budget. These refrigerators come in a variety of styles and designs with many optional features to fit every kitchen and budget.
Side by side refrigerators move the freezer compartment and arrange it vertically next to the refrigerator compartment to allow easy access to both. The narrow doors are ideal for smaller kitchens because they use less room when opened. Interior space can be an issue, but many of these refrigerators come with adjustable shelving to help you maximize their capacity.
Bottom mount refrigerators place the freezer compartment underneath the refrigerator compartment. This type is great for energy efficiency and ideal for the household that uses the refrigerator compartment more frequently. These refrigerators come in a variety of styles and designs with many optional features to fit every kitchen and budget.
Freezerless refrigerators do not have a freezer compartment. They may also be called all refrigerator models. Whether your family has a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables to store or they simply don't eat frozen foods on a regular basis, there are plenty of benefits to choosing a freezerless refrigerator.
French door refrigerators place the freezer compartment underneath the side-by-side refrigerator compartment. This is a unique design that combines both styles with the freezer functioning as a drawer for ease of access. This is the newest option available and is becoming increasingly popular.
Counter depth refrigerators are flush with the counter for an elegant look and feel.
Freestanding refrigerators do not need to be placed within any existent cabinets or countertops. They can be situated anywhere in your kitchen.
Built in refrigerators are only finished in the front and are designed to be built into the design of your kitchen. Custom panels and trim kits can be applied after installation to achieve that custom look and feel.
Drawer refrigerators provide incredible extra cold storage in your kitchen.
Door-in-door refrigerators put your most used items at your fingertips. This innovation is transforming kitchens and lifestyles across the country.
Microfridges combine a microwave oven with a small refrigerator. If space is at a premium, then a microfridge is a perfect solution. Furnishing a small apartment or dorm room has never been easier.
Standard Depth Refrigerators tend to stick out a few inches compared to the surrounding cabinetry. They provide more storage space on the inside. However, some people prefer the flush look of the Counter Depth Refrigerator.
ADA Compliant Refrigerators ensure easy access for anyone with disabilities.
Energy Star Rated Refrigerators provide a tremendous amount energy savings and are sound investments for any family.
Refrigerator Color Options
Stainless Steel vs. Stainless Look
Stainless steel has become an extremely popular finish with a modern look. Many manufacturers now offer a "stainless look" at a lower cost to mimic the higher priced models without sacrificing quality.
In addition to stainless steel, black and white are also popular color choices for fridges.
Refrigerators can be found in almost any color you could imagine. Some less common but still available choices include bisque, gray, platinum, slate (mainly GE), red, silver, blue, green, orange, pink, and cream.
The brand Smeg offers many colored refrigerators as you can see in the image above.
Most of the major appliance manufacturers produce many brands and models of fridges. For example see how many fridges GE Appliances has on the market: GE Refrigerator Model Numbers.
Every year refrigerator technology and innovations advance. Be sure to explore the various brands before you buy.
Refrigerator Owner's Manuals
Understanding how a refrigerator works can be important when selecting a fridge to purchase. Looking over a refrigerator owner's manual will help give you a sense of the features of your future fridge.
GE Refrigerator Manuals
GE Appliances produces a number of top rated refrigerators. Here are the owner's manuals of several key models.
- PYE22KSKSS GE French Door Refrigerator Manual
- PFE28KSKSS GE French Door Refrigerator Manual
- CYE22USHSS GE French Door Refrigerator Manual
- GSS25GMHES GE Slate Side-By-Side Refrigerator Manual
- PSS28KSHSS GE Side-By-Side Refrigerator Manual
Whirlpool Refrigerator Manuals
Whirlpool Appliances offers a wide range of excellent frigerator models. Here are owner's manuals for several top sellers.
- WRF535SWHZ Whirlpool French Door Refrigerator Manual
- WRX735SDHZ Whirlpool French Door Refrigerator Manual
- WRX986SIHZ Whirlpool French Door Refrigerator Manual
- WRB322DMBM Whirlpool Bottom Freezer Refrigerator Manual
- WRS588FIHZ Whirlpool Side-By-Side Refrigerator Manual
Frigidaire Refrigerator Manuals
Frigidaire remains a leader in refrigerators creating new models and innovative features every day. Here is a list of the owner's manuals of top fridges.
- FGRU19F6QF Frigidaire Freezerless Refrigerator Manual
- FFSS2615TS Frigidaire Side-By-Side Refrigerator Manual
- FGHC2331PF Frigidaire Side-By-Side Refrigerator Manual
- FFTR1814TB Black Top Freezer Refrigerator Manual
- FGHF2367TD Black French Door Refrigerator Manual
Amana Refrigerator Manuals
Amana has many affordable refrigerator models. Check there owner's manuals of a few bestselling fridges.
- AFI2539ERM Amana French Door Refrigerator Manual
- ART106TFDW Amana Top Freezer Refrigerator Manual
- ABB2224BRM Amana Bottom Freezer Refrigerator Manual
Maytag Refrigerator Manuals
Maytag offers a number of fine fridge models. Here is a short list of Maytag refrigerator owner's manuals.
- MFI2570FEZ Maytag French Door Refrigerator Manual
- MSC21C6MFZ Maytag Side-By-Side Refrigerator Manual
- MFF2258FEZ Maytag French Door Refrigerator Manual
Other Refrigerator Features to Consider When Shopping
|Feature||Things to Consider|
|Ice and Water||
|Refrigerator Shelving & Bins||
|Freezer Shelving & Bins||
More Fridge Resources
At Goedeker's we are committed to providing you with the most information possible. We have written a number of blog posts giving you excellent information on refrigerators.
- Top 10 Side By Side Refrigerators 2017
- Apartment Refrigerators
- 6 Cutting-Edge Refrigerator Features
- The Samsung-RF28M9580SG Refrigerator
- Samsung French Door Refrigerator VS LG French Door Refrigerator
- Fisher & Paykel – RS36A80U1 Refrigerator Analysis
- Samsung French Door Refrigerators vs. LG French Door Refrigerators
- Top 10 Rated French Door Refrigerators for 2017
- Top 5 Whirlpool Refrigerators
- 13 Reasons to Buy a Freezerless Refrigerator
- What is Sabbath Mode? Star-K Appliances
Why is there a "D" in Fridge?
Ah, the eternal question. Why is there a "d" in the word fridge when there isn't one in the word refrigerator?
The answer seems to be related simply to how the word sounds. Check out the resources below for more in-depth explanations.
- Why is there a "d" in "fridge", but not in "refrigerator" or "refrigerate"?
- Why is there a 'd' in the word fridge but not in the word refrigerator?
- Why is there a "d" in fridge but not refrigerator?
- Why does “fridge” have a “d”?
- What's This in the Fridge? Who put the d there, and is it still any good?
What is ENERGY STAR?
ENERGY STAR is a program from the US Department of Energy and the US Environmental Protection Agency that certifies appliances as "energy efficient" and helps reduce environmental impact and utility bills. Refrigerator operating costs can be a sizable portion of your monthly energy bill, models with the ENERGY STAR label are very efficient.
To learn more, visit our ENERGY STAR page or the ENERGY STAR website. Goedeker's offers a wide range of energy efficient ENERGY STAR appliances. For a full list of ENERGY STAR refrigerators, click here.