Guide to Buying Dining Tables and Chairs
For many homeowners, the dining room is the place where they can flex their interior design muscles. The rest of their home may look nice enough, but it’s the formal dining area that really shines. Naturally, furnishing and decorating this space takes plenty of time and effort.
The dining set is the focal point of the room, so it makes sense that you can’t buy just any table and chairs to use. Several aspects should be considered, such as room layout, table size, amount of chairs, and furniture style. With the help of this guide, shopping for dining room sets won’t be a headache. It could even be fun!
The first step is to determine how spacious your dining room is, along with how wide the door opening is. That way, you’ll have an idea of the biggest table you could possibly fit into the room.
However, you don’t want to crowd your guests! There should be at least 3 feet between the edge of the table and the wall, but around 42 inches to 4 feet would be better to aim for. Everyone should have enough room to move around without bumping into each other or worrying about spilling anything.
After you know the square footage you’re working with, then that gives you a range of dining room table sizes to choose from. Generally, dining tables are 30 inches tall, so height is not really a consideration. Just make sure there’s about a foot between the tabletop and the seat of the chair. Opting for extra tall dining chairs might be a mistake here.
Each guest should have 24 to 30 inches of table surface so that they can eat comfortably. It may seem like a weird thing to think about, but elbow space is important!
Number of Chairs
If you don’t want to do all that measuring work yourself, never fear. There are several tried-and-true combinations of dining room chairs and tables you could use to ensure that your guests aren’t cramped.
For rectangular dining room tables:
- A 72 inch long table will seat six.
- A 96 inch long table will seat eight.
- A 120 inch long table will seat ten.
For round dining room tables:
- A 36-48 inch diameter table will seat four.
- A 60 inch diameter table will seat six.
- A 72 inch diameter table will seat eight.
Dining Table Sets
Make it even easier for yourself and shop for a dining room set. The most popular dining sets have a table and four chairs, but there are also sets with two, six, eight, and even ten chairs. This way, you know that the table you want has the ideal amount of chairs with it.
Table and Chair Styles
When it comes to dining room furniture, there are a few common styles you will see:
- Traditional – The most formal dining set style, traditional tables typically feature ornate details and dark solid wood. The chairs are often upholstered.
- Contemporary or Modern – Metal, molded plastic, or glass are often what compose modern tables and chairs. A minimalist, streamlined appearance is key.
- Transitional – This style combines aspects of traditional and contemporary furniture. Transitional pieces are generally more casual, while still looking sleek.
- Country or Rustic – Weathered wood, distressed finishes, and chipped paint are hallmarks of rustic tables and chairs. These would fit perfectly if your dining room has a country theme.
- Rectangular Dining Sets - One of the most common styles; rectangular set allows for seating of more than four people and can be accompanied with a bench opposed to chairs all around.
- Round Dining Sets - For small spaces and gatherings a round set is perfect. For an intimate dining experience, choose this set.
- Square Dining Sets - Allow everyone to sit an equal amount of distance apart with a square dining set. These sets are best for square rooms and when hosting just a few guests.
- Oval Dining Sets - This shape and style fits best in narrow spaces. Functioning like a rectangular set, it seats more guests, however without the sharp edges.
- Leather Dining Sets - For easy care and longevity, a leather dining set will serve you well. Typically found in neutral colors, this style will complement any color scheme.
- Faux Leather Dining Sets - Want the leather look without the leather price? Faux leather is additionally easy to maintain as well as durable.
- Fabric Dining Sets - Permit an unlimited amount of creative design with fabric. These sets come in a host of colors and composition.
- Polyester Dining Sets - A mix of material stands up to wear and tear in polyester dining sets. Typically paired with metals or wood, this style is universal.
- Microfiber Dining Sets - Finely woven fibers come together in this set. For a cozy and comfortable dining experience, consider microfiber.
- Velvet Dining Sets - Splurge on luxury without lacking comfort in a velvet dining set. With great insulation and a rich color you won't want to leave your dining area.
- Cottage Dining Sets - For a homely feel, consider a cottage dining set. This style brings the outdoors inside with natural hues and textures.
If you only need dining chairs, you are luck. Dining chairs come in a variety of styles and materials.
- Side Dining Chairs - Versatile and functional, these chairs can be used practically anywhere in the house. They typically come without arms and optimize space at the dining table.
- Armed Dining Chairs - Usually found at the head of the table, these chairs are making their way all around the table. Armed dining chairs are just as they sound and come in a large array of texture and styles.
- Armless Dining Chairs - Similar to side dining chairs,
these chairs conveniently fit into small spaces and are easy to move around the dining area and household. Serving as chairs at the table or accenting another room.
- Parson Dining Chairs - Generally composed of hardwood and a curved, squared back, these chairs embody comfort for the ultimate dining experience.
- Lounge Dining Chairs - Coming in a host of styles and textures, lounge chairs invite guests into the dining room for a relaxing encounter.
- Wingback Dining Chairs - Traditionally found in the living room, wingback chairs are navigating their way into the dining room for a touch a sophistication and elegance. Mix and match with other designs for a contemporary look.
- Cafe Dining Chairs - For a casual dining room, add cafe style dining chairs for a modern appeal. These chairs come in a variety of styles and colors.
- Swivel Dining Chairs - Face any direction in the swivel chair. Easy access and mobility are features that come along with this design.
- Leather Dining Chairs - For a regal, traditional dining room, leather chairs are a perfect addition. Easy to clean and rich in appearance, these chairs are classic.
- Faux Leather Dining Chairs - For a regal look for less of the price, consider faux leather dining chairs. Wipe clean and enjoy the durability of these types of chairs.
- Fabric Dining Chairs - Bring comfort and style to your dining area with fabric chairs. Tufted, wingback, and armless are just a few of the styles featured with a fabric chair.
- Polyester Dining Chairs - Mixed fabrics and countless colors and styles, polyester dining chairs are a fun way to spruce up your dining room.
- Microfiber Dining Chairs - Blend wooden backs and cushioned seats with microfiber chairs. Also, found completely cushioned, these chairs scream comfort.
- Velvet Dining Chairs - The epitome of elegance and class can be found in the dining room with velvet chairs. Extremely comfortable, consider these chairs for more mature dining guests.
- Wooden Dining Chairs - A classic look, these chairs can be all or partially wooden, and last a lifetime.
- Metal Dining Chairs - For a chic modern look, consider metal chairs. Golden and silver legs and backing create a very contemporary look in the dining room.
- Wicker/Rattan Dining Chairs - The perfect chair for a patio or outdoor space, wicker/rattan chairs are woven together for great durability.
- Plastic/Acrylic Dining Chairs - For an avant-garde look add plastic or acrylic chairs to your dining area. These chairs come in a large variety of colors and are easy to maintain.
- Stone Dining Chairs - For a classic dining appeal, choose stone dining chairs. This style is sure to be long-lasting.
- Glass Dining Chairs - Add finesse to your dining room with glass chairs. Include in a formal dining area for an eye catching sleek appeal.
- Contemporary Dining Chairs - Update your dining area with a 21st century look with contemporary dining chairs. Eccentric designs and patterns, these chairs are excellent statement pieces.
- Traditional Dining Chairs - Create a formal dining room with traditional dining chairs. For a classic look that will never go out of style.
- Transitional Dining Chairs - Fuse traditional and contemporary styles together with transitional dining chairs. A classic touch with a modern style will give you the best of both worlds.
- Rustic Dining Chairs - Embrace nature with rustic dining chairs, coming in an array of woods, these chairs beckon visitors to the dining room for a cozy dining experience.
- Cottage Dining Chairs - Country living can be brought to the city with cottage dining chairs. For an inviting, comfortable dining space, add these chairs to your decor.
- Adirondack Dining Chairs Polywood lumbar is the foundation of these chairs and will serve you for a long time with its durability and fade resistant quality.
- Wheeled Dining Chairs - Make mobility a breeze with wheeled dining chairs. Featured in various styles and textures, this convenient chair is great for spaces serving dual purposes.
- Distressed Finish Dining Chairs - For an antique look, check out distressed finish dining chairs. They can be paired with other styles to create the ideal look for a modern dining area.
- Eco-Friendly Dining Chairs - Save the planet with eco-friendly dining chairs. Modern in style, and capitalizing on the less is more theory, these chairs are suitable for green consumers.
- Ergonomic Dining Chairs - Efficiency and comfort meet in ergonomic chairs. These functional chairs are best for consumers seeking to make the most of their dining experience.
- Folding Dining Chairs - Capitalize on space with folding dining chairs. Store them away and easily access them when needed; great for small spaces.
- Nailhead Detail Dining Chairs - Get inspired with nailhead detail dining chairs. Suitable for both traditional and modern tastes, these chairs are the perfect addition to the dining area.
Dining tables also come in a large selection as well.
- Round Dining Tables - Great for small spaces and intimate gatherings, round dining tables allow guests to all sit at equal distances apart.
- Rectangular Dining Tables - For seating more than four people in a large dining area, consider the most traditional rectangular dining table.
- Square Dining Tables - Much like round tables, but more suitable in square rooms, square dining tables are the perfect choice for modest spaces and small gatherings.
- Oval Dining Tables - Most suitable for narrow spaces, oval dining tables allow seating for larger parties, and rounded edges for squeezing in additional seating if necessary.
- Half-Circle Dining Tables - To optimize space, a half-circle dining table can be utilized for two, or placed in the center of the room accompanied by a bench on the flat side for additional seating.
- Octagon Dining Tables - If you want to explore with symmetry and seat more than four people, look into an octagon dining table. Great for square spaces.
- Wooden Dining Tables - A classic dining room appeal, wooden tables are continuing to be reinvented. From polished, to weathered and rustic, find the right wooden table to fit with any decor.
- Metal Dining Tables - Sturdy and long-lasting, metal dining tables add a touch of industrial decor to your dining room.
- Wicker/Rattan Dining Tables - Perfect for patios,
sunrooms, and outdoor spaces, wicker/rattan dining tables are intricately detailed and can even be utilized indoors.
- Plastic/Acrylic Dining Tables - Create an inviting dining room with a plastic/acrylic table. Colorful, fun and easy to clean, this table can be just the statement piece you're looking for.
- Stone Dining Tables - For ultimate durability and a natural appeal in your dining space, consider a stone dining table.
- Glass Dining Tables - Elegance and class can be added to your dining experience with a simple inclusion of a glass table. Great for formal dining rooms.
- Contemporary Dining Tables - Stay up-to-date with a contemporary dining table, coming in multiple styles and shapes, there's plenty to choose from for a modern decor.
- Traditional Dining Tables - Keep it simple with a traditional dining table. Sturdy, long-lasting, and classic; you can't go wrong with this option.
- Transitional Dining Tables - Fuse your contemporary and traditional style with a transitional dining table. Typically simple on top, but fun at the bottom, find a design that's just for you.
- Rustic Dining Tables - For an unrefined look, explore a rustic dining table, bringing in natural wooden hues and an array of styles to choose from.
- Cottage Dining Tables - Invite guests to a comfortable dining experience with a cottage table. Natural textures with graceful lines bring country living to any location.
As you can see, finding the right dining table and chairs for your space isn’t complicated at all! Just consult our tips and you’ll be well on your way. If you’re searching for attractive and reasonably priced dining room furniture, Goedeker’s is a great option. We carry a huge selection from all the best brands, so you’re sure to find something that catches your eye.