Home Air & Insulation
Photo by Flickr user Mark Tighe.
38. Conduct your own home energy audit to see what could be improved.
39. Insulate the walls.
40. Weatherstrip your doors.
41. Seal air leaks in your home with caulk.
42. Be sure your pipes and water heater are well-insulated.
43. Use air filters to improve indoor air quality.
44. Decorate with plants.
45. Use candles instead of air freshener.
Food & Drink
Photo by Flickr user Shanna Trim.
46. Make a meal plan to avoid wasting food.
47. Eat at home instead of going out.
48. Prepare meatless meals more often.
49. Buy your produce from local farmers.
50. Eat fresh fruits and veggies rather than canned.
51. Eat foods in season.
52. Buy fewer frozen dinners.
53. Store foods in glass containers instead of plastic.
54. Don’t defrost foods with water.
55. Replace your nonstick pans with cast-iron.
56. When you eat, use real dishes and silverware instead of disposable.
57. Make your own chicken stock with chicken scraps.
58. Reuse tea bags before you throw them out.
59. Use reusable coffee filters.
60. Do not buy bottled water.
61. Invest in reusable water bottles.
62. Get a water filter for your faucet.
63. Keep a pitcher of water in the fridge instead of running the tap until the water gets cold.
64. Don’t use plastic straws in your drinks.
Photo by Flickr user Christian Haugen.
65. Use your dishwasher instead of hand-washing dishes.
66. Scrape dishes rather than rinsing them before putting them in the dishwasher.
67. Run full dishwasher loads.
68. Air dry your dishes instead of using the dry cycle.
69. Wash only full loads of laundry.
70. Use a little less detergent than what’s recommended.
71. Wash your clothes in cold water.
72. Hand wash any delicate clothing items instead of dry cleaning.
73. Clean out the lint screen in your dryer after each load.
74. Add dryer balls to your dryer.
75. Hang up your laundry to air-dry.
76. Use a vacuum with a HEPA filter.
77. Use non-toxic cleaning products.
78. Make your own eco-friendly cleaners.
79. Use rags instead of paper towels to wipe up spills.