Goedeker's Expert Mattress Shopper
With years of selling mattresses online, Goedeker's is a mattress expert, and we are happy to help you find the perfect mattress at the perfect price! You too can become a mattress expert after reading our guide. Once complete, click here to open the Expert Mattress Comparison Guide to shop, compare, and save!
3 Steps to better sleep!
- Decide your comfort level. Mattresses come in a variety of comfort levels. Choose between Firm, Plush, Pillow Top/Euro Top or Memory Foam and you’ll be on your way to better sleep.
- Decide your brand. While this step may not be important to some, others may come into mattress shopping with a specific brand in mind.
- Decide your size. Don't worry you are almost done and this is the easy part. Just select the size that you want. If the size you have now is working for you, why fix what isn't broken? However, if you are looking for something bigger or smaller to suit your needs, then we’ll be sure to help. View our mattress sizing guide.
- Firm mattresses provide the best mattress support but also have the least amount of “give”. Firm mattresses are typically recommended for people that sleep on their stomach or back as the mattress assists in keeping your body straight. Shop all firm mattresses »
- Plush mattresses contain up to 4 more inches of foam than firm mattresses do. This means that plush mattresses offer more “give” and can help give you that sinking feeling. These mattresses are great for side and back sleepers but may not provide enough support for those that sleep on their stomachs. Shop all plush mattresses »
- Pillow Top mattresses are the softest available mattresses. The top of the mattress contains an attached padding that acts much like a pillow, hence the name. Pillow Tops are perfect for those who use mattress pads on their mattresses to make them softer. There is no pad necessary on Pillow Tops. Like Plush mattresses, Pillow Tops are perfect for side and back sleepers. Shop all pillow top mattresses »
- Euro Top mattresses are very similar to Pillow Tops except they feature more top padding and offer and smoother top area. Shop all euro top mattresses »
- Latex & Memory Foam - First developed for NASA, memory foam has made it into the home, becoming a wildly popular material for mattresses. It allows even distribution of body weight over the entire surface and can easily adapt to any movements made during sleep. Shop all memory foam mattresses »
- Latex - Latex is a biodegradable, natural foam. It contours to your body’s shape while you sleep. It distributes your body weight across a wide area to help reduce pressure points that are the usual culprits for tossing and turning. Latex has an open cell formation which allows your body heat to dissipate for a cooler night’s sleep. The foam is also naturally resistant to mold, mildew, mites, bacteria and other allergens. Also, the foam naturally reduces transfer of movement so that you are less likely to disturb your partner during sleep.
- Memory Foam - Memory Foam or Visco is manmade and was developed by NASA. Memory Foam is similar to Latex; however, the microscopic memory pockets respond directly to your body heat and weight. This reaction creates a perfect contour to your body and helps align the sleep surface for great comfort. Memory foam eliminates the need to be turned for lengthening the life of the mattress.
Components of a Mattress
- Upholstery Layers - The average mattress is about 14 inches high. The majority of this height is made up of the upholstery layers or padding which include:
- Several layers of foam of various types and thickness (i.e. memory foam, latex)
- Manmade materials and natural fibers (i.e. wool, cashmere, silk)
- Pillow topping for respective mattresses
- Stain free and fireproof covers
There is a minimum of 3 layers of upholstery but there can be as many as 9. The more advanced mattresses that have high quality upholstery layers can be worth more than the innerspring and foundation together. So, the higher the quality of materials and the more layers the mattress has, the most expensive it is but also many would argue more comfortable.
- Innerspring Coil - This is the base of the mattress itself. This is not the boxspring or foundation. This part of the mattress supports and distributes your body weight by using metal coils. The coils can be made from a variety of material including tempered steel and titanium. Every manufacturer uses a different innerspring coil design. Across brands, the more coils in a bed does not necessarily mean a better mattress. However, you can compare coil count within brands. A mattress with a higher coil count than another mattress of the same brand implies a higher quality mattress and usually a higher price.
- Boxspring/Foundation - A boxspring is the lower half of a mattress set. It is separate from the mattress itself and provides a base for the mattress. A true boxspring is made up of sturdy coils to act as shock absorbers. Like the innerspring coil, the boxspring helps to support and distribute force. This can greatly extend the life of your mattress. Foundations are similar to boxsprings but are either framed in solid wood or metal with no coils. They don’t "give" so as not to disturb your partner by moving. Foundations are firm and have no working parts to wear out like in a traditional boxspring.
Brands and Series
- Beautyrest Beginnings - The Simmons Beautyrest Beginnings features AllerCare feature which is designed to repel indoor allergens to help your kids sleep easier in a healthy environment.
- Beautyrest Recharge - The Beautyrest Recharge line is one of the most comfortable spring mattresses on the market because of its luxurious fabrics used in its BeautyStyle construction.
- Beautyrest Elements - The Simmons Beautyrest Elements Mattress Express Pack Plush has all the benefits of Beautyrest in a more convenient package.
- Beautyrest Recharge World Class - Every mattress in the Beautyrest Recharge World Class line comes with the NEW 900 Density Smart Response Pocketed Coil Technology. This technology aligns the coils to provide individualized back support so you can wake up feeing refreshed.
- Beautyrest TruEnergy - Simmons Beautyrest TruEnergy mattresses have AirCool memory foam to ensure maximum airflow.
- BeautySleep - The Simmons BeautySleep mattresses have the Simmons Edge Support System. This gives you more usable sleep surface than mattresses without it. This means that you have more room to stretch throughout the night.
- Comfortpedic from Beautyrest - Simmons has revolutionized the memory foam mattress industry by minimizing the "sunken" feeling.
Mattress Sizing Chart
At Goedeker's, we understand that the differences between mattress sizes can be dizzying at times. The differences between a King and California King, for example, aren't exactly common knowledge. If you have any more in-depth questions, please give us a call at 1-888-768-1710 to talk with one of our friendly experts. Let us help you become an expert too.
|Size||Width (in Inches)||Length (in Inches)|
- Twin/Single - A Twin or Single mattress is 39" x 75". Most full grown adults will probably not fit comfortably in a bed this size. This mattress sleeps one person and is most commonly used for day beds, trundles, and children's beds. Shop all Twin mattresses »
- Twin XL - A Twin XL mattress is 39" x 80". This may not seem like much of a difference from the Twin mattress but that extra space can mean a lot to taller folks. These are perfect for college dorm rooms! Shop all Twin XL mattresses »
- Full/Double - A Full or Double mattress is 54" x 75". Two full grown adults sharing this bed might find it a little tight. This mattress comfortably sleeps one full grown adult. This mattress is best for smaller rooms looking to accommodate one person. Shop all Full mattresses »
- Queen - A Queen mattress is 60" x 80". This mattress sleeps two people and is best for small master bedrooms. If you have difficulty getting this bed up the stairs or around tight corners split box springs are available in some models. Shop all Queen mattresses »
- King - A King mattress is 76" x 80". This mattress sleeps two people comfortably. It is the same length as a Queen mattress but has much more space available. All King mattresses come with two twin box springs. Shop all King mattresses »
- California King/Western King - A California King or Western King mattress is 72" x 84". This is the longest mattress but is not quite as wide as a standard King mattress. This mattress is common on the West coast and suits much taller adults. All California King mattresses come with two split box springs. Shop all California King/Western King mattresses »
Low Prices and Our Guarantee
Goedeker’s is proud to offer our customers low prices on our mattresses which include free delivery and removal of your old mattress. Also, with our 100 day Comfort Guarantee, you can rest assured that you’ll be getting the best sleep of your life. Call us today, 1-888-768-1710, and speak with our knowledgeable Customer Service Staff or click here to start shopping.