Trash Compactor Buying Guide
Trash compactors offer a simple and efficient way of reducing your garbage volume. This is ideal for high waste households and those concerned about landfills and the environment. Most trash compactors are similar in the features that they offer with the choice coming from the appropriate size for your kitchen and how much compacting force your household requires.
Compacting force options:
- 2000 lbs ram force
- 2300 lbs ram force
- 5000 lbs ram force
Other features typically found on a trash compactor:
- Noise Insulation
- Tilt-away trash basket
- Reversible panels
- Anti-jam & tilt sensors (keeps appliance operating smoothly)
- 1.4 cu. ft. capacity
- 1/3 horse power motor
- Control pad/dial (removable on some models)
- Built in freshener or filter
- Uses both paper and plastic bags
- Trim Kits – make sure you include these into your measurements for under-counter models.
Keep these items in mind for safe operation:
- Do not place poisonous, explosive or flammable chemicals into trash compactor
- Do not place aerosol cans into trash compactor
- Keep children away and/or buy a compactor with a removable dial or child lock feature
- Do not place glass into trash compactor
- Make sure you are able to remove compacted trash before filling to capacity. A full compactor can weigh in-between 40-50 lbs.